1. All Stories
  2. Politics
  3. Economy
  4. World
  5. Nuclear
  6. Society/Culture
  7. Space/Science
  8. Sports
  9. Tourism
  10. Other Media
  11. Videos
  12. Photos
  13. Cartoons
  14. Interview
    • فارسی
    • عربی
    • Türkçe
    • עברית
    • Pусский
  • RSS
  • Telegram
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • All Stories
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Nuclear
  • Society/Culture
  • Space/Science
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • Other Media
  • Videos
  • Photos
  • Cartoons
  • Interview

Funeral Held for India Attack Victims

  • May, 05, 2014 - 14:20
  • Other Media news
Funeral Held for India Attack Victims

TEHRAN (Tasnim) - The family members of 18 people killed by suspected Bodo rebels in India's northeastern Assam state have finally buried their dead after the government promised to punish the culprits and provide security, according to local media reports.

Other Media

Earlier on Sunday, they had refused to bury the bodies, demanding that the state's chief minister, Tarun Gogoi, visit their area.

Police said on Sunday that they had killed three suspected rebels and arrested eight forest guards for the alleged involvement in the killings of 32 people in three separate attacks in Kokrajhar and Baksa districts.

Two rebels were killed in a dense forest near Tejpur district, while the third was killed in an exchange of fire in Udalguri district, AP reported.

Senior Assam police official, AP Raut, told Times of India newspaper that "the situation was fast improving".

Meanwhile, the state government is planning to hand over the probe into the killings to the federal investigating agency, National Investigation Agency.

"We are sending the official letter to the Union home ministry this evening. An NIA team will be discussing the matter with the state government on Monday," state home commissioner and secretary GD Tripathi was quoted as saying by the Times of India.

Rights body, Amnesty International has condemned the deadly attacks, terming the act as shameful and displaying contempt for human lives. "Authorities in Assam must take action to protect the rights of all communities and bring those responsible for the attacks to justice," it said.

On Saturday, authorities called in the army to restore order after suspected Bodo separatists killed at least 32 people from the minority Muslim community in two days of violence that began late on Thursday.

 
Read more
Families Refuse to Bury Dead in India's Assam
tasnim
tasnim
tasnim
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Most Visited
  • Archive
Follow Us:
  • RSS
  • Telegram
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • Facebook

All Content by Tasnim News Agency is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.