1. All Stories
  2. Politics
  3. Economy
  4. World
  5. Nuclear
  6. Society/Culture
  7. Space/Science
  8. Sports
  9. Tourism
  10. Other Media
  11. Videos
  12. Photos
  13. Cartoons
  14. Interview
    • فارسی
    • عربی
    • Türkçe
    • עברית
    • Pусский
  • RSS
  • Telegram
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • All Stories
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Nuclear
  • Society/Culture
  • Space/Science
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • Other Media
  • Videos
  • Photos
  • Cartoons
  • Interview

Two Killed in Southern Lebanon After Suspected Israeli Regime War Remnant Explodes

  • August, 19, 2026 - 17:04
  • World news
Two Killed in Southern Lebanon After Suspected Israeli Regime War Remnant Explodes

TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Two young men were killed and others injured after a “suspicious object” exploded near Mayfadoun in southern Lebanon, with Lebanon’s state-run National News Agency reporting that the munition was believed to have been left by Israeli regime forces previously operating in the area.

World

The incident comes as the Israeli regime has sharply increased military activity in southern Lebanon, with the UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) recording an average of 137 projectiles fired per day between August 5 and 16.

UNIFIL said 208 projectiles were recorded on Saturday and 185 on Sunday, as tensions continue to rise despite the renewal of the June 26 ceasefire agreement between Lebanon and the Israeli regime.

The US-brokered agreement is tied to the disarmament of Lebanon-based Hezbollah but does not specifically require the withdrawal of Israeli regime forces, which continue to occupy several parts of southern Lebanon.

Hezbollah has rejected the agreement, saying it will not accept the deal until the Israeli regime withdraws from Lebanon.

UNIFIL said civilians in southern Lebanon are once again bearing the highest cost of the escalating tensions.

“As tensions rise, civilians are once again paying the highest price, with many families displaced or forced to change their daily routines because of insecurity and uncertainty,” UNIFIL said.

The UN peacekeeping force said its personnel have maintained their presence through patrols and monitoring, while removing obstacles from roads, reducing risks posed by explosives and facilitating access for humanitarian aid.

UNIFIL added that UN Security Council Resolution 1701 remains the basic framework for restoring stability in southern Lebanon.

Adopted in 2006, Resolution 1701 calls for a cessation of hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah and for strengthening the deployment of the Lebanese army and UNIFIL in southern Lebanon.

Meanwhile, Lebanon’s President Joseph Aoun on Monday voiced support for extending UNIFIL’s mandate and adopting a formula that ensures the continued presence of international forces in the area.

UNIFIL’s mandate in southern Lebanon is due to expire at the end of this year amid international debate over the future and mission of the peacekeeping force.

Lebanon’s government in Beirut has insisted on maintaining UNIFIL’s presence as a key element of stability in the south. 

 
R1517/P42410
Read more
Israeli Regime Strikes Drive New Displacement in Lebanon despite Ceasefire: UN
tasnim
tasnim
tasnim
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Most Visited
  • Archive
Follow Us:
  • RSS
  • Telegram
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • Facebook

All Content by Tasnim News Agency is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.