1. All Stories
  2. Politics
  3. Economy
  4. World
  5. Nuclear
  6. Society/Culture
  7. Space/Science
  8. Sports
  9. Tourism
  10. Other Media
  11. Videos
  12. Photos
  13. Cartoons
  14. Interview
    • فارسی
    • عربی
    • Türkçe
    • עברית
    • Pусский
  • RSS
  • Telegram
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • All Stories
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Nuclear
  • Society/Culture
  • Space/Science
  • Sports
  • Tourism
  • Other Media
  • Videos
  • Photos
  • Cartoons
  • Interview

Italian Minister Dismisses Plan for Azzurri to Replace Iran at FIFA World Cup

  • April, 24, 2026 - 17:23
  • Sports news
Italian Minister Dismisses Plan for Azzurri to Replace Iran at FIFA World Cup

TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Italy’s sports minister, Andrea Abodi, described a proposal for his country to replace Iran at the World Cup as “not appropriate”, rejecting any idea that the Azzurri will be granted a last-minute berth at this summer’s tournament.

Sports

On Wednesday it emerged that Paolo Zampolli, a special envoy to US President Donald Trump, had suggested Italy should be fast-tracked to the World Cup despite their shock defeat by Bosnia and Herzegovina in last month’s playoffs. Zampolli proposed the four-time winners Italy replace Iran and said they would “have the pedigree to justify their inclusion”. But Abodi said football’s showpiece tournament should remain meritocratic.

“Italy’s possible requalification for the 2026 World Cup, which US president Donald Trump’s envoy, Paolo Zampolli, has reportedly proposed to FIFA, is firstly not possible, and secondly not appropriate,” Abodi told Sky News. “I don’t know what comes first. Qualification is on the pitch.”

Iran’s participation has been the subject of speculation owing to the US-Israeli war of aggression against Iran. They are due to play two group games in Los Angeles and one in Seattle. Although they had floated moving their matches to the co-hosts Mexico, that idea appears a nonstarter. They have not requested to withdraw from the tournament and last month the FIFA president, Gianni Infantino, said they “will be at the World Cup”.

Should Iran’s status change there is no obvious logic for Italy to replace them. The United Arab Emirates, the next-highest-ranked Asian country not to have qualified, are considered their likeliest potential replacements, The Guardian reported.

Italy’s third successive absence from a World Cup finals has sparked soul-searching throughout the country’s football scene. This month its football federation president, Gabriele Gravina, resigned and Gennaro Gattuso stood down as national-team manager. The country faces a race against time to build and renovate stadiums suitable for co-hosting Euro 2032, which it is due to hold with Turkey.

 
R42340/P
Read more
Iran’s Mexico Envoy Urges FIFA to Relocate World Cup Matches
tasnim
tasnim
tasnim
  • About
  • Contact Us
  • Most Visited
  • Archive
Follow Us:
  • RSS
  • Telegram
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • Facebook

All Content by Tasnim News Agency is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.