The revised estimate doubles the amount cited during congressional testimony Wednesday, where a Pentagon official, Jules Hurst, said the war against Iran had cost about $25 billion so far, Anadolu Agency reported.
However, Hurst told lawmakers that estimating costs for infrastructure repairs or long-term construction projects related to the US conflict with Iran remains difficult due to uncertainty over the military’s future force posture.
"We don't know what our future posture is going to be, or the future construction of those bases," he said during testimony before the Senate.
According to CBS News' report, the lower figure does not fully account for damaged or destroyed military equipment, adding that among the reported losses are 24 MQ-9 Reaper drones, each valued at over $30 million, underscoring the financial toll of sustained operations.
The US and the Israeli regime launched a large-scale unprovoked military campaign against Iran following the assassination of then Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei, along with several senior military commanders and civilians on February 28.
In retaliation, Iranian Armed Forces launched attacks on American and Israeli positions in the region, demonstrating their capability to strike back effectively. Despite initial expectations by the attackers of a swift victory, the Iranian response proved significantly more potent, inflicting heavy damage on US and Israeli military resources while rallying the nation's unity and resistance.